Thursday 8 May 2014

50 Farmer's Wife Blocks

It only took me a year and 4 months!


50!!

Still though, I'm actually glad that I can pick it up and put it down as I please. Some months there's too much else going on, or once you sit down in the evening you're struggling to stay awake.


Y-seams, ftw!

I have been averse to picking it up since the start of this year, and having had almost 5 months to ponder it, I think I know why. I've not been feeling the colours and fabrics in the last few blocks. I chose them in the middle of last summer, when I cut out pieces for a behemoth 20 blocks in one go. It turns out I'm a fickle fabric chooser!


Honeycomb

So this time, I'll only be prepping the next five blocks. I'm also going to throw a withering glance over the fabrics that have managed to not get used 8 or 9 charm packs in.


Friendship Star

I also bought three new charm packs this Spring - Botanics, Daydream, and Mixed Bag - to reinvigorate the fabric choosing and colour palette.




I'm also quite sick of basket blocks - I haven't checked but I'm hoping there are no more!


Blergh...
Double blergh.

I noticed while laying out the blocks yesterday that I'm ending up with a lot of different sizes. This has to do with my inexperience in English paper piecing when starting out, and the laws of physics (4 sewn together pieces are going to be larger than a single piece cut to size - all that extra thread and fabric makes a difference!).


I need to add some darker blocks, dominated by pale ones right now.

However, I've come up with a cunning plan. I'll pop them into some generous sashing, alternating square and on-point, to make a humongous or a normal sized quilt depending on how long more I can keep the EPP going!

The obstinate mental part of me kind of wants to go all the way humongous - that's the same part that sees me almost halfway into what could be a 3 year quilt top, because I decided to do it by hand...

Obstinate and mental, that's me - why change now!? (that's totally logical thinking, right there!)

PS The sewing room/nook is an even bigger mess now, I opened the desk bits, realised I couldn't do it by myself, and won't have reinforcements until tomorrow night at the earliest! However, having run out of procrastination material, the organising will begin this evening - pinky swear!

6 comments:

  1. This is looking absolutely fabulous Aoife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, lovely stuff! I like the layout too. It will be grand! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really lovely so far and will be whether you do all of them or stop somewhere before the end. And I'm totally with you on basket blocks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny how fickle our color choices can be influenced by time and seasons, etc. Your blocks look great and it will be well loved when you complete it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not that much of a fan of baskets either but I like your fabric choices so far. Love noteworthy! It's looking really nice laid out on the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 50 blocks is such an acheivement!! I love the colours/fabrics you are using. It's such a great idea to use charm squares to get lots of variety.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love hearing your honest thoughts and opinions on whatever I've been harping on about :)

I email replies as soon as I get the chance.